Sunday, June 2, 2013

Author Spotlight: Brooke Morris

Picture Welcome back for another author spotlight. I hope you've been enjoying getting to know these wonderful authors as much as I have!

But first, I'm excited to announce that tomorrow I'll be revealing the new cover for Chosen of Azara, with awesome new cover art!

And now, introducing Brooke Morris:

1. Tell us a little about yourself.
I am an author living in the PNW.  My writing is greatly influenced by my environment and my overactive imagination, so the natural landscape and the human experience are two big aspects of my writing.  My mind is constantly creating stories about what I see in my everyday life; people, places, objects, they are all fair game. My dream is to create stories that readers devour ravenously.  I love when a story takes hold of me and I spend every spare moment (and a few moments I can't spare!) reading it because I can't stop thinking about it.  I would love to inspire that feeling in readers.

2. When did you start writing, and why?
I started writing when I was in elementary school.  My motivation/inspiration for writing has always come from the same source, an overactive imagination.  I often find myself thinking, "what if..." when I look at the world around me and then the idea just continues to grow until I decide to write it down.

3. What do you write, and why? What do you enjoy about what you write?
I tend to write fantasy, I really enjoy creating entirely new worlds with new rules and new perspectives.  There is something intensely satisfying about developing a world with such thoughtfulness and detail that you know it as well as you would a life long friend.

4. What is your latest book? Any forthcoming books?
My latest book is The Pull, which to paraphrase (and combine) two reviewers, it is a multi-world story exploring the teenage-girl-different-world genre.  What I really like about this story though, is that the main character, Maggie, is stronger than most teenage heroines, but this strength is subtle.  She isn't sporting the pleather catsuit and sword as she battles demons (both real and metaphorical).  She just does what she needs to in order to not only survive but thrive and be happy.  And she does it with sass and sarcasm, which is always fun to write!

5. "Welcome To My Worlds": Tell us a little about the world of your latest book.
There are two worlds in my novel, our world, which is known as the New World, and the Old World.  In the beginning, the six gods created the six races and lived peacefully among them for many years in a utopianesque Old World.  But slowly the races began to turn on each other and while the gods couldn't bear to destroy their beloved creations, they realized too that without intervention, the humans would be completely annihilated because they are the weakest race.  So the gods created a new world just for the humans and sealed the gateways between the two, forever separating the Old and New Worlds.

My story picks up in the New World and we soon find out that our heroine, Maggie, is able to travel between the two worlds with the power of thought.  This is a unique trait and is only shared by 1 other person, an Old World demon named Andrew.  As the two of them travel together through the Old World, we are exposed to a landscape that is being revenged by a dark energy that is turning everything into a desolate wasteland. The Old World is bleak, with an unrelenting sun and ash and dust running across the land with a ferocity that seems appears almost sinister.

6. Introduce us to some of your characters. What do you like about them?
The main character is Maggie.  She is very obstinate and strong willed but she has a deep connection and appreciation for life.  Her connection to the earth is very strong and a driving force in her life (which I guess explains why she is running her hands along the trunk of a tree rather than that of a chisel-chested man :-P).

The other main character is Andrew.  He's life experiences have left him much more jaded and cautious than Maggie; war and hate has really clouded his perception of life.  He lacks the faith Maggie has in everything working out for the best, but as he spends more time with her, he begins to have faith in Maggie and her ability to hope.

7. A fun fact you would like your readers to know about you or your book.
This book was many, many years in the making.  I wrote the first version when I was 17!  But then I just left it and forgot about it.  I started college, I was exploring life, writing a fantasy novel wasn't at the top of my to-do list.  But as it turns out, that was for the best! I matured and grew as a person and when I finally dug it out of the closet many years later, I could look at it with a fresh set of eyes and a better understanding of life.  So I did a hard rewrite, changing the story arch and adding the mythology (really flushing it out), and this was the end result.

8. Blog/site link, and where your book is available.
I encourage readers to check out my blog for sneak peeks, free ebooks, book reviews, and general musings.  The Pull is available at (direct links):

Amazon
Smashwords
Barnes & Noble
ibookstore

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, all comments must now be approved. Only comments directly related to the subject of the post will be approved. Thanks for understanding.