Here's another fun thing I thought of to have on the blog: character interviews! I always enjoy reading these on other blogs about characters I like, so I decided to give it a try. Non-spoilery - these interviews are of the characters as they are at the beginning of the book. Have more questions for the characters? Leave them in the comments :)
First up is Rashali, from Urdaisunia!
1. What is your full name? Is there anything significant about your name?
My name is Rashali. It's just an ordinary Urdai name. I've heard that people from other lands have names for their families, but we Urdai don't have that custom.
2. How old are you?I'm
not really sure. With things being so difficult, once someone survives
to adulthood, their age doesn't really matter. I think I'm about 22
3. Tell us about your family. What do you like and not like about them?Most
of my family, including my parents, most of my siblings, and my husband
and daughter, are dead. Of course, I don't like that. My sister Kinna
is still alive, and a few of her children. I live with them and help
care for them. Kinna is older than me, but I feel like I'm the one who
is stronger, and who looks after her. That's all right, it keeps me busy
and gives me something to do, to keep my mind off of Tigun and Lalana
being gone, and keeps me from getting too lonely.
4. Who was your first kiss, and what did you think of it?*blushes*
My first kiss was Tigun. He had come to our village from a village far
away, on the Tabra River. He was so handsome, and the first person I'd
ever met who wasn't from Moon Bend or one of the villages nearby. I
don't know why he chose me - I'm told I'm not very pretty, and that I'm
far too serious - but he did, and he kissed me, and I liked it enough
to marry him.
5. What is your occupation?
a widow, a childless mother, a sister, an aunt. I care for my surviving
family members, and for others in the village who need me. I'm also a
Scorpion, a rebel against the Sazars, who conquered my country three
generations ago. My greatest dream is to see the Sazars driven out of
Urdaisunia and destroyed.
6. What are your best and worst qualities?My
best qualities are that I'm loyal and hard-working, and I think about
things instead of taking them for granted. My worst quality is, I wish I
wasn't so weak that sometimes my emotions, my feelings, are hard to
live with. I wish sometimes I could just stop feeling anything.
7. What quality do you value most in a romantic partner?I want a man who cherishes me and respects me, and who is kind and loyal and intelligent. A man like Tigun. I don't know if there are any more men like him.
8. What is your favorite thing to do?I
used to love to... spend time being close to my husband, and also
playing with my daughter. I can't do those any more. There isn't
anything I really like to do now, except think about and plan for the
day when my people can regain their freedom and their pride.
9. What is your greatest fear?That my people will all die away, our culture and achievements will be forgotten, and only the Sazars will be left in our land.
10. What is your most treasured possession?
memories of Tigun and Lalana, and my identity as a woman of Urdaisunia.
No matter what else the Sazars take from me, they can't take those.