Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Guest Feature: Vanessa Kings

Picture
Today I'm happy to welcome Vanessa Kings back to the blog (read my interview with her here), to interview her character Melanie from Chronicles of the Nocturnal Forest. Take it away, Vanessa and Melanie!

1. What is your full name? Is there anything significant about your name?
My name is Melanie, and although throughout “Chronicles of the Nocturnal Forest” my last name is not mentioned, my full name is Melanie Stuart. My mom was a huge fan of an Indie Rock singer when she was young and she named me after her. However, after I did some research, I found out that Melanie means “dark” which is how I felt most of the time. Of course, that feeling changed two years ago when I met Shaylee, the fairy of my dreams.

2. How old are you?
I just turned 18. When my adventures in Astebeth started I was 16, but that was ages ago!

3. Tell us about your family. What do you like and not like about them?
I’m a single child. I was born and raised in New York.

What  I don’t like about them is the fact that they are so busy with work and their social lives to pay any attention to my social life (or lack of it) and they never listen to what I have to say, they just think it’s another meaningless youngster dilemma. But I guess every young girl has that problem with their parents at some point, and I hope it gets better with time.

What I do like is that they love me no matter what, even when it’s so hard to admit, I know that they will defend me and stand by my side if someone tries to hurt me.

4. Who was your first kiss, and what did you think of it?
Don’t laugh, but my first kiss was in a dream, with Patrick, one of the guys that helped Julia  find out the connection between her family and the Nocturnal Forest. My dreams were always very vivid and the kiss with Patrick was not the exception. When I was next to him I always felt safe and brave enough to do anything. Kissing him was just the confirmation that he and the Kingdom of Astebeth don’t just exist in my dreams. I miss him every day and can’t wait to see him again, either in real life or just in another one of my dreams.

5. What is your occupation?
I’m a freshman at Columbia University. I want to be a writer, so I’m taking a lot of classes related to it. I also draw in my free time and would love to be able to write and illustrate a book about my dreams someday.

6. What are your best and worst qualities?
Well, my best qualities are seen as bad by so many people, including my parents. I dream, and I draw what I dream, and even if it sounds silly, it IS a great ability. I am one of the very few humans that can move between the real world and the dream world, and being able to draw it, just adds a very important touch, because then I can remember in detail what I saw and tell others about it. That’s the main reason why I want to write a book, to tell people about the Kingdom of Astebeth.

Why do I say they are seen as bad? I was almost kicked out of high school for drawing during class, but when else would I do it? I woke up and had to go to school right away, I couldn’t wait until lunch to draw, it would be too late.

Thankfully I learned to control my dreams a bit and woke up earlier every morning to have time to draw the fresh images in my head. That bought me time and I graduated without problems.

7. What quality do you value most in a romantic partner?
Honesty. No doubt, a relationship can’t survive without it. If I ever get to have a real, grown up relationship, I can’t imagine it without telling my boyfriend about my abilities and my mission.

8. What is your favorite thing to do?
Sleep. It’s not that I’m lazy or anything, but when I sleep, I dream, and when I dream I’m back at Astebeth with Shaylee, Patrick and everyone I love.

9. What is your greatest fear?
To not dream about Astebeth anymore, or to find out that it only exists in my dreams, that everything I dreamed of was fantasy, that there isn’t a magic Nocturnal Forest full of fairies and magic beings, that my fairy and Patrick don’t exist. That would break my heart.

10. What is your most treasured possession?
Amanda’s diary. I got it the last time I dreamed of Astebeth and somehow I brought it to this world. I will treasure it and keep it safe for as long as it takes until I can return it to its owner. It’s the only proof I have that all my dreams are real. It’s what keeps me going and motivates me to continue with my mission no matter how hard it gets.

Chronicles of the Nocturnal Forest:
Melanie is living an ordinary, boring life when one night she is transported in her dreams to the Kingdom of Astebeth. Night after night, the fairy of her dreams will tell her the stories of the inhabitants of the Kingdom, its town, and the magical Nocturnal Forest nearby. A forest full of magical creatures where the impossible can happen. Soon, she comes to suspect that her dreams may not only be dreams after all. Follow her on her incredible journeys that will take her to magical places and beyond Earth itself to discover the magical secret of the Nocturnal Forest in the first part of The Fairy of my Dreams trilogy.

Chronicles of the Nocturnal Forest is available at Amazon:
ebook ($0.99) | illustrated ebook ($4.99) | paperback ($9.99)
 
 

About the Author:
I was born in Rosario, Argentina. At the age of 10 I wrote my first fairy tale as a way to deal with a very painful earache. I found writing comforting and distracting. After that day, I continued writing every time I felt the need of leaving realty behind.

By the age of 18 I had around 120 pieces written, between fairy tales, poems, life’s reflections and other stories. I always wanted to publish my stories but never had the confidence to do it. After my son was born, my husband and my best friend gave me the confidence that I needed to start writing my first book.

I decided to start translating and eventually publish one of my favorite stories, hoping to bring the fantasy and imagination back to all those kids and young readers that would adventure themselves into its pages. That’s how Chronicles of the Nocturnal Forest was born.

Where to find Vanessa Kings:
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | G+ | Tsu | Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, all comments must now be approved. Only comments directly related to the subject of the post will be approved. Thanks for understanding.