Monday, October 12, 2015

Author Spotlight: Annie B Matthews


Picture
Introducing author Annie B Matthews, author of the YA paranormal novel Talent:

1. Tell us a little about yourself.
I have always been a voracious reader and writing seemed to be a natural extension of that. I love stories, whether they are written word or on the screen. I’m a runner too, which came as something of a surprise to me, but it’s a great way to bash out plot ideas.

2. When did you start writing, and why?
As a teenager, I would be frustrated by novel endings that I didn’t like and I would reimagine these all the time. I would have these little movies playing in my head too, but it wasn’t until a friend showed me a story she had written that I decided to start writing myself. I was twelve. I started writing YA as a teen and never stopped. Although I do have a couple of adult novels on the back burner.

3. What do you write, and why? What do you enjoy about what you write?
At the moment I primarily write YA, as that’s how I started and I like YA. I work with teenagers, so I listen to what they have to say about the fiction aimed at them and I try to consider that in my stories. For instance, many girls want the romance, but without the weak female character that often goes with that. I enjoy writing stories where the romance is important, but the heroine is more important. My heroines are independent and the guys they end up with are awesome, not ‘alpha’, regardless of their age!

4. What is your latest book or series? Any forthcoming books?
Talent is my first self-published novel and the sequel, Fire, will be out before Christmas. These will be the only two novels in the Talents series. I have some other projects I want to work on, including a novella on revenge bullying.

5. "Welcome To My Worlds": Tell us a little about the world of your latest book or series.
The world of Talents is the world we live in, with a variety of ‘talented’ individuals. Telepaths, empaths, locator talents and future seers...just as every person is unique, so are the talents. The Talent world is, in many ways, in its infancy; these novels show the starting point for a new society that brings all the Talents together.

6. Introduce us to some of your characters. What do you like about them?
In Talent, we meet Libby. She’s ambitious, loyal and tenacious. I like her, as she’s not afraid of a challenge - she faces a lot of them! Her best friend, Kelly, also interested me as she started out happy and vivacious, but the world they live in has its own pressures. As she grows up, she has to work out her place in that world. It’s an interesting and often difficult journey that I think we can all relate to. Kelly is the heroine of Fire [book 2].

7. A fun fact you would like your readers to know about you or your book.
Talent took 2 years to finish because I didn’t think I could, or should. I met someone who writes and blogs, and she loves what she does. She inspired me to give it a go. Once I made my decision, the book was finished in 3 months.

Where to find Annie B Matthews:
I blog when I can, or when something interesting comes to mind. You can find ‘Read, write, coffee’ on Wordpress: https://anniebmatthews.wordpress.com/
Goodreads | Twitter

Talent:
 Libby didn't expect to have her perfectly planned life uprooted half way through Sixth Form.
Starting a new school is the least of her worries, however, even though the natives aren't too friendly and the boy she has an instant crush on looks at her as though she's his worst enemy.
With her parents acting strangely, Libby starts to think that their big move might tear the family apart.
Then her mum disappears and Libby finds herself thrust into a world she never dreamed existed.

It turns out that no one is ever what they seem.

A young adult paranormal novel.

Available at Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, all comments must now be approved. Only comments directly related to the subject of the post will be approved. Thanks for understanding.