Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Author Spotlight: Vanessa Kings

Introducing fantasy author Vanessa Kings:

1. Tell us a little about yourself.I was born on March 14th of 1985, in Rosario, Argentina. I lived with my mom and 2 sisters until I was 19 when I moved in with my boyfriend (now husband), we lived in several cities until we decided to have a baby. Then, in 2012 we moved to Capilla del Monte, Cordoba, Argentina, and our baby boy was born on October of 2013.

2. When did you start writing, and why?At the age of 10 I wrote my first fairy tale as a way to deal with a very painful earache. My 5th grade teacher had told us to write a short fantasy story as summer homework. I sat on the backyard to write and I couldn’t stop. That short story is the one I recently published as a bed time story: “The princess of the Enchanted Forest”.

That day, I found writing comforting and distracting, so I continued writing every time I felt the need of leaving realty behind. By the age of 18 I had around 120 pieces written of fairy tales, poems, life’s reflections and other stories.

I always wanted to publish my stories but never had the confidence to do it. After my son was born, my husband and my best friend gave me the confidence that I needed to start writing my first book.

3. What do you write, and why? What do you enjoy about what you write? I write fantasy stories, mostly involving fairies, goblins, princesses, dragons and knights. I always say that I am trying to bring the old-fashioned fairy tale kind of books, that’s what I loved to read when I was a kid.
What I enjoy most about writing is leaving the real world for a little while; when I write I submerge into my fantasy world and everything else disappear for a moment. It is almost like reading, but writing gives the opportunity to live your own adventure and create your own characters.

4. What is your latest book or series? Any forthcoming books?I have two series that I am writing simultaneously. My main series is “Stories of the fairy of my dreams”, the first book, “Chronicles of the Nocturnal Forest”, was published on December, and it is the first of three. It takes place on a magical island called The Kingdom of Astebeth. The second book of the series, “The diary of Amanda”, is expected to be published on October of this year.

My secondary series, “The Dream Fairy’s Bed Time Stories”, is a collection of ten short stories, based on secondary characters of The Kingdom of Astebeth that didn’t have their own stories on the main three books. The first book, “The Princess of the Enchanted Forest”, is available on paperback now, and the e-book will be released on February 28th. The second short story will be published on May.

I am also planning to write a book called “Spells of the Dream Fairy” or something like that, I haven’t decided the name yet, it would be an anthology of poems.

5. "Welcome To My Worlds": Tell us a little about the world of your latest book or series.The Kingdom of Astebeth is a small Island, somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean. It has a small town and a big castle. On the left and north shore there are mountains, on the right and south shore there is a beach. Besides the town, the Island has an extensive forest. No one dares to venture themselves into the forest because they say it is haunted, but the truth is, the forest is the home of magical creatures, fairies, gnomes, talking animals and even dragons. The forest has a queen, Nasha, which is the mother of all the fairies of the forest and the protector of its dwellers.

6. Introduce us to some of your characters. What do you like about them?The main character of “Chronicles of the Nocturnal Forest” is Melanie. She is sixteen and has a boring, regular life. She goes to school, doesn’t have any friends, is a victim of bullying and doesn’t have the best relationship with her parents. She often gets in trouble for drawing during class, and it’s very close of being expelled or transferred to a different school, which, along with her low grades, won’t help with her college applications. The only things that help her to get through all that are her books and her dreams. She loves to read fantasy stories and often dreams that she is a part of them. One night, on her dream, she sees herself sitting next to a fairy. The fairy starts telling her the story of Sarah and Thomas, two young inhabitants of Astebeth. Melanie starts dreaming of this magical Island almost every night, always hearing the stories that the fairy tells her.

I like Melanie because she is strong. She has to deal with a lot of bad things, but she doesn’t lose her innocence and her dreams. She stands for what she believes, she knows what she wants and she will do anything to accomplish it. She is sweet and kind, but she won’t let anyone stand on her way and stop her. During the first book of the series she goes from a disoriented teenager to a very mature college freshman, her journey and adventures in Astebeth were a big part of her life and helped her during the hard path of becoming a woman.

7. A fun fact you would like your readers to know about you or your book.I don’t know if readers will find this fun or disturbing, but, I am a crazy cat lady. Not exactly like the one from The Simpsons because I still have all my teeth, and I am missing about 20 cats hanging from my hair, but I have like a cat-magnet. I have two “official” cats, two more that come every day to visit us (and eat), and another one from the neighbourhood that always meows at us when he walks in front of my house. When I go out for a walk, cats come to me, you know, like dogs usually do, sniffing and moving their tales? Well, cats come to me purring and I would take them all home with me but some have owners and I don’t have the room for all of them. I love cats, I would have a tiger if I could. Of course, some of my Bed Time Stories, have cats.

Picture 8. Where to find Vanessa:Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Google+ | Goodreads | Amazon

Exclusive excerpt from Chronicles of the Nocturnal Forest (Stories of the Fairy of my Dreams, #1):
"We continued walking until we exited the forest. A few steps away, I saw a small wooden house and ran straight towards it, hoping that they could be hiding inside. I wanted to warn them about Arthur’s knights. I had to let them know what was going on and help them escape. I entered the house in a rush, shouting that they had to leave, the knights were coming, and they were not going to let them escape. Sarah and Thomas were sitting in front of the fireplace, holding their hands and looking into each other’s eyes. I told them to leave once, twice, three times, but they could not see me or hear me.

In previous dreams, I could always control what was happening when I needed, and when I found myself in a situation like this, I reminded myself that it was a dream, and so from that moment on, I could do anything. I could fly, fight dragons, and swim in the depths of the ocean without needing to breathe.
Somehow, I could not control this dream; I could not make them listen to me.

It seemed that the fairy noticed my confusion and explained that for many days, they were hunted by Arthur’s knights, who eventually found them, living in the small house made of wood. It was their fate and nothing would change that.

I could not witness what was going to happen next; I knew what Arthur had sent them to do, so, with tears in my eyes, I asked the fairy to take me away from that place. She did, and soon afterwards, we were sitting under a tree in the forest as she continued telling me what had become of Sarah and Thomas."

Chronicles of the Nocturnal Forest (Stories of the Fairy of My Dreams #1) is available at:
Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Indie Bound

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, all comments must now be approved. Only comments directly related to the subject of the post will be approved. Thanks for understanding.