Saturday, July 26, 2014

Clean Out Your eReader Book Review: Huntress Moon

Picture Huntress Moon, by Alexandra Sokoloff

Wow. Fast-paced, breathless suspense thriller about an FBI agent on the hunt for the female serial killer who killed one of his undercover agents right in front of him. Roarke, the agent, has extensive - and soul-crushing - experience as a profiler of criminals, but this killer defies all his profiling experience - until he learns of the astonishing connection he shares with her and figures out the true purpose behind her string of killings.

Well-drawn, sympathetic characters who grabbed my interest right away and kept me rooting for them - even the killer, whose mind we spend a great deal of time in, and vividly-portrayed settings, including San Francisco, Portland, the forest wilderness around Mt. Hood, and the peaceful and quaint yet hip California central coast, make this a book I got lost in and didn't want to put down. The action (though there isn't a lot of action as in fight scenes, I mean Roarke's pursuit of the killer and the killer's pursuit of her destiny) is non-stop, with one twist after another, and I ended up staying up way too late one night to finish it.

The one downside is this is the first book in a series, so the ending is inconclusive, but that just means I get to read more about the Huntress and the FBI agent. So that's a good thing.

I'll add that this is one of the few books I've ever read that I wish I had written. To that end, I've purchased Ms. Sokoloff's writing book Writing Love: Screenwriting Tricks for Authors II (based on her Screenwriting Tricks for Authors book but with additional material on writing romance) and I'm working my way through it. Writers should always keep working to improve their craft, and I think this book will be really helpful.

For all my COYER books and reviews, see my main Clean Out Your eReader post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, all comments must now be approved. Only comments directly related to the subject of the post will be approved. Thanks for understanding.